EducateIT Top Version is a software system to keep applications up-to-date and to manage different versions of an application.
The Top Version system consists of a repository manager which has an easy-to-use graphical user interface to manage the different applications and versions. It also contains different clients: A simple client which can be bundled with the application itself for single user systems, and there is also a thin client/client service system for server or multi-user systems.
The software has the following features:
- Fast and robust updating for projects. In some cases the update can be even done while applications are still running.
- A smart delta update system which only updates changed, added or removed files in the project. This allows a very fast update and of course a reduction of the network traffic if there are many clients updating.
- The update process is customizable. Delta updates are not necessary, and a full update can be demanded by some clients.
- For each application it is possible to create multiple “channels” to use multiple versions of the same project. For example a production and a beta version with a “production” and “beta” channel.
- The repository format is well documented and based on XML and ZIP files. There are XML schemata to verify all the files contained in the repository. The open format allows you to write your own extensions to the update system.
- There is an easy to use repository manager with a graphical interface. Managing the repository with multiple projects (applications), many versions and channels is easy and safe.
- For simple situations there is small client software which can be bundled with a project to allow automatic updates.
- There is also an advanced thin client and service solution for fully automatic updates in the background on multi-user systems.